Four Weeks Before the Move...
- Call McCarley Moving and schedule your move.
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity. Consider a garage sale.
- Call physicians and dentists. They may recommend a colleague near your new home.
- Get copies of renewable prescriptions.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Check homeowner's insurance policies to see if moving is covered.
- Be sure your new home is protected by transferring fire, theft and other personal-property insurance.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- Plan to use up most food items before the move.
- Check and clear tax assessments.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before you move them.
Movers can't take aerosols, flammables, corrosives or ammunition. It's best to use them up or give them away before you move. Propane tanks must be emptied as well as lawnmower fuel tanks.
- Make your travel reservations for the trip.
- Notify the Post Office and get change of address forms. Notify magazines to which you subscribe. Note: You must fill out a change-of-address form for each person receiving mail at your address.
- Close or transfer all charge accounts.
- Return library books and other things you've borrowed. Collect things you've loaned, and items in layaway, cold storage, etc.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and delivery services.
- Protect your shipment from damage by disposing of cleaning fluids, acids, caustic drain cleaners, etc.
- Transfer bank accounts, and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city.
- Empty and close safe deposit box.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- Arrange for cable TV disconnection.
- Arrange connection of utilities in new home.
- Arrange to have cash, certified check or money order ready to pay driver before goods are unloaded. (Unless you are paying by credit card)
- Set aside maps, games, snacks, flashlight, and other items you'll take in your car.
- Gather medicines and important papers for the car trip.
- Your local phone company business office can help you with phone service for your new home, as well as disconnecting service at your present home.
- Drain water from all garden hoses.
- Start packing suitcases.
- Drain gasoline from lawn mower.
- Put cleaning supplies, toiletries and a coffee pot in special box to be loaded last and unloaded first.
- Finish packing all suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator.
Be on hand all day to answer questions, accompany driver during inventory, sign bill of lading, confirm your new address and delivery date.
Make final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred and lights are out.